Friday, April 24, 2009

random flashback

Growing up I was notorious for taking too long showers, and also randomly singing around the house to myself. . . I remember walking home from 4-H which was about a mile from our house in the country. The long gravel road that led to our house was lined with willow which we would on occasion flatten in areas and pretend they were rooms, and we would make halls to other rooms. On this day I was walking home belting out a song to myself on this middle of nowhere country road, when I hear hysterical laughing. I looked over to find my sisters sitting in a "room" in the willows getting a pretty big kick out of catching their sister singing loudly to herself. I was thoroughly embarrassed and went on home.

We would play outside all day making forts, trying to catch minnows in the irrigation canal, and attempting to tame the wild kittens that lived under a shed out back which we successfully caught one time. But bringing them in the house was a bad idea, we were all pretty scratched up. I have fond memories of growing up in the country, and wish my kids could have the same experience.
Thinking back I wonder if my parents ever knew where we were when we were out playing. It sure is a different day and time now.

5 comments:

  1. I wanna see pics of your sisters too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. childhood memories are wonderful! i can totally picture you belting out a tune without a care in the world--just being yourself! the willow rooms sound magical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so cute. Do you want to move to the country? You need to check out the free range movement. After all, we both we free range kids it sounds like.
    http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those days too. And I know my parents didnt know where we were either. I wouldn't let my kids do the things I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally feel the same way. While my kids have so many more opportunities in life than I ever did, I think they get jipped in a lot of ways as well. I can't wait to go home this summer so they can experience that kind of life (if only for just a week).

    ReplyDelete