Saturday, November 1, 2008

Boolicious trick or treaters

This was an almost start to trick or treating in our neighborhood. Mckay had to go actually put shoes on and wash dinner off his face. They were excited, H asked since he woke up if it was time to go trick or treat, and he didn't have preschool yesterday so it made for constant waiting. The kids got way too much candy, they filled their buckets on our street alone, and then came and dumped them to continue the craziness. We had a few neighbors from up the hill come down looking for kids to give their candy to because no one was venturing to the top of our development. Hayden and Ethan were tired fairly quickly, but Sid was the energizer bunny. She would have went all night. Anyone that knows her wouldn't be surprised by her energy.

I am glad this holiday is over. . . can it be a holiday? small children knocking on strangers doors and taking candy from people they don't know???? What is wrong with us???

The funniest part of the evening was the carloads of kids other parents were busing to our neighborhood because our houses are close together and its a trick or treater's Heaven. Fortunately we didn't run out of candy, and with the load the kids brought home there were no worries. I am trying to figure out what to do with all the candy??? I don't really want the kids to eat it all. Any suggestions besides throwing it away, I am too frugal to throw perfectly sound items away??????

6 comments:

  1. have people over to eat your candy! Mike and I ate all your halloween candy last year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We ventured into another neighborhood this year as the homes in our neighborhood are too far apart for little Trick-or-Treaters. After we got home our kids were really disappointed because there were so few kids coming by.

    As for the candy ideas, I stuck it in the freezer so that I won't sneak into it (hopefully) and I will pass it out for their good deeds. So far so good...the kids have been working so hard to earn the candy. I love having bait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle.... Here's an idea that I heard and actually did one year. Have your kids go to town chowing all the candy they want ONE NIGHT (preferably Halloween night) and then bag up all the rest of the candy and put it..on the porch? behind the couch? as a gift to the "Halloween Witch". Kids go to bed, they wake up to a new book (or books) as payoff for the candy. Then chuck that candy and have no guilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My idea is like Amber's. The kids pick out the candy they want, then leave the rest on the porch for the "Great Pumpkin". The kids get a present equal to what they give. One of my friends gave her daughter a barbie shoe, since she was too stingy on her offering. When all the other kids were playing with their toys, she was huddled in the corner with her candy. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would donate it to their school. It would save the teachers some money, and they're always needing something to bribe the kids with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pictures. Looks like it was trick-or-treat heaven! Our neighborhood growing up was like yours with lots of close houses. We loved it. I don't know if I can say the same for my mom!

    ReplyDelete