Thursday, November 13, 2008

the trenches

On occasion I have referred to being a mother of four small children as being "in the trenches". I believe I got the phrase from my mom in law. Don't get me wrong, the days I feel like this are far outnumbered by the good ones. I am talking about the days when your voice falls on deaf ears of children that by far outnumber you. When everything and anything liquid lands on the floor. When a smoothie must be blown out the bottom end of the straw across the kitchen and not sucked into the mouth. When cereal bowls lose control and throw themselves on the floor. When arms are wrapped around your legs crying, and no one is happy to just be. And if they are happy it is because they are screaming their lungs out wrestling and running around as fast as their little legs will carry them. When strapping all of the kids in car seats and driving is relaxing just because no one can get out of their seat. These are the days when hopefully nothing has to be done. Because the only thing that helps is to sit and hold kids, and make them feel loved, count blessings, and be grateful that they are still little because that is what every mother of grown children will be quick to remind you that these are the good days.

4 comments:

  1. must be the weather... sounds like our house for the past 4 days. :)

    erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that one. Some days it really does seem like you're soldier but at the same time I feel like I wouldn't be happy somewhere else. But hey...it looks like super saturday went really well! Our ward is pretty anti-craft so I get the luck of being enrichment counselor AND not have to worry about super saturdays. Cake, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny. Just this am the entire milk jug was emptied onto our floor. Oh, good times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man the joys of Motherhood! And with winter coming full force and more days cooped up we all know there are going to be a lot more of those.And as for you wanting to be in Rexburg I am up for the trade. I miss Seattle and my family. Rexburg is just fine but I miss home!

    ReplyDelete