Thursday, October 23, 2008

Apron Mania!


So I tend to get a little excited about silly things. . . like kids aprons. I have made aprons for my kids and their friends for a while now. Recently I was exposed to Michael Miller fabric which I am totally in love with, and then I was at a craft show when I saw an apron cut out of oilcloth and a ribbon sewn on for the ties, and I LOVED it! So I have finally found a store that will order me some cute prints in the oilcloth, so we are doing it for our super Saturday(I didn't want to pay shipping). It is super simple, and I think with the new prints we ordered it will be adorable.
Do it Yourself
To do this yourself just cut an apron shape with pinking shears, and make sure they are sharp. You can't use granny's hand-me-downs for this project. Then sew a ribbon across the chest, and two shorter pieces on the top of the bib. I tried to match the thread to the ribbon so it wasn't visible. If you look online you can find Michael Miller laminated cotton, which I think is sweeeet!My favorite is the dick and jane j for jump. I found it for $10.75 a yard, and you can get 4 child size aprons in one yard. I think its a cute gift for nieces, or bday gifts. Add a little kitchen toy, and its a hit. I made two in 15 minutes.

8 comments:

  1. Two in 15 minutes...that's my kind of project! I have never heard of oilcloth. It looks like it's a vinyl. Does it sew okay or do you need a special needle? Good luck at your Super Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the print. What a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the print. What a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dani

    That is a really awesome apron!! Do you make them in adult size too? That will be a HIT for Super Saturday-good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so creative all the time....jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sews great with NO Special needle. And I haven't made them adult size, but I can't see why you couldn't. I am cutting the apron shape out of cardboard for Super Saturday, so its easier for people to cut out theirs. I bet if you have fun curvy rotary cutters for scrapbooking that would probably work too, and might possibly be cuter than the zigzag, I just don't have any of those fun tools. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute and a great idea for presents!

    ReplyDelete