Saturday, February 2, 2008

Mckay and the emergency room

well we are crazy at our house. We spent today in the emergency room in tacoma with mckay. He got a hold of a ceramic vase in the front room and was beating it with something until it was shattered and then picked up the pieces and put a little one in his mouth and took larger pieces and was playing with them. They were so sharp it cut through his thumb seriously deep. He didn't even care that he was cut, he came walking in to the kitchen with blood on his hands and mouth and I looked at him thinking he had gotten into candy or something before I realized it was blood. I started rinsing him in the sink to assess what he had done. I was checking his mouth when I noticed a piece in his mouth. I tried to get it out but he wanted it in there and he fought and swallowed it. Luckily it was somewhat small, maybe the size of a tooth. We got his thumb bandaged to stop the bleeding, and called the doctor and they thought he should go to the emergency room because the object was sharp. we spent two hours in the waiting room, another hour waiting in a room to be seen and an hour after he was seen until they released him. And we were in tacoma because they wanted us to be seen at a childrens hospital.
anyway. they said he would probably be okay because it was small, just to watch for blood in the diaper. they don't really do anything unless there is bleeding. And he got two stitches in his thumb. He sat very quietly and watched his thumb get stitched. he didnt' cry or say anything. He was very calm.
This is the first time any of our kids have been to the emergency room, I guess we have been lucky so far.

Needless to say between all our doctors visits this week, a baby shower, and todays fiasco, we are exhausted. I am looking forward to a day of rest. And we are praying that mckay won't have any complications and that he will pass his ceramic lunch. , ha.

It looks like Ethan will probably get tubes in his ears again. We find out friday if that will be happening. He is pretty deaf lately from all the fluid in his ears, he says "what" alot. That will be me in a few years, ha ha.

I am very grateful for good neighbors and friends who will take my kids in a moments notice, and who watch over us, and vice versa. We are lucky to have such good people around us when we are far from our family.

1 comment:

  1. Scary! Glad everything is okay. I dread the emergency room--that long wait makes it almost not an option for me. But when it comes to a child and the unknown danger of something sharp in his system, you have to be on the safe side. Hope today was much more relaxing for you. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete